Expand! Time to catch up on some reading.
Here you’ll find the complete list of all links and resources we have provided throughout the chapters. If you feel anything is missing, let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chapter 1: Why we need to take action
Current trends & key drivers: Why sustainability is at the top of the agenda
- European Union: Overview on Non-Financial Reporting
- European Union: Overview on the Taxonomy for Sustainable Activities
- Nov 2020, Ernst & Young: Background on the EU Taxonomy Regulation
- May 2020, Ernst & Young: Why investors are putting sustainability at the top of the agenda
- Feb 2020, Osborne Clark: New AIFM disclosure requirements on ESG and sustainability
- Feb 2020, Visual Capitalist: Visualizing the Global Rise of Sustainable Investing
- Jan 2020, CNBC: Money moving into environmental funds shatters previous record
- Nov 2019, Atomico & Slush: State of the European Tech Report
- Oct 2017, McKinsey & Company: From “Why” to “Why Not”: Sustainable Investing as the New Normal
Chapter 2: A quick definition.
What is sustainability?
Corporate sustainability is imperative for business today – essential to long-term corporate success and for ensuring that markets deliver value across society. To be sustainable, companies must do five things: Foremost, they must operate responsibly in alignment with universal principles and take actions that support the society around them. Then, to push sustainability deep into the corporate DNA, companies must commit at the highest level, report annually on their efforts, and engage locally where they have a presence.
Read more here: Guide to Corporate Sustainability by the United Nations Global Compact
A definition of impact investing by the World Economic Forum (2003):
Impact investing is generally understood in science as the proactive intention of an investor to create a measurable positive social and/or environmental impact through investment or finance and to achieve (eco-) social returns alongside with financial returns. Impact investing is an investment approach that intentionally seeks to create both financial return and positive social or environmental impact that is actively measured.
Chapter 3: At look at your investment strategy
- An impact management framework for investors for the entire investment lifecycle by the IFC and The World Bank: Operating Principles for Impact Management
- Aligning your investments with UN SDGs: The TONIIC SDG Impact Theme Framework
- The UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Defining your ambition level: The three types of Impact by the Impact Management Project: How investors manage impact
- Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, June 2017: Investing in the UN Sustainable Development Goals
Guidance for Exclusionary Activites / Restricted Sectors
Chapter 5: Embedding sustainability in the investment process
Further Reading on Impact Measurement
- The Impact Management Project: How Investors Manage Impact
- Harvard Business Review: Calculating the Value of Impact Investing
- Impact Frontiers: Handbook on Impact-Financial Integration
Further impact measurement approaches:
Pymwymic (Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is) Healthy Ecosystems Impact Fund, a Dutch venture capital fund that seeks to conserve and restore our ecosystems, present another approach to impact measurement in their 2018 Report.
Omidyar Network, a social change venture or philanthropic investment firm has published an “Ethical Operating System Toolkit” jointly with the Insitute for the Future, with tools to visualize and anticipate future risks to investment targets. Omidyar Network was founded by Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay, and his wife Pam.
Impact Frontiers is a learning and innovation collaboration of investors and field-builders dedicated to advancing the integration of impact into financial frameworks, processes, and decision-making: Learn more here.
Impact Frontiers also published a Handbook on Impact-Financial Integration.
Pacific Community Ventures, one of the first impact investors in the United States have developed an Impact Due Diligence Guide.
The ImPact, a global membership community of families committed to aligning their assets with their values, explore the different early-stage impact investing strategies in a report: The ImPact: Early-Stage Investments
Chapter 6: How to work with your portfolio companies
- Have a look at the corresponding Startup Sustainability Playbook
- START Global: The ROSE Framework
- Atomico: The Conscious Scaling Framework
Chapter 7: Setting the right example
Tackling Environmental Sustainability In-house
- Calculate and reduce your emissions with the digital platform of Plan A
- See this list by Leaders for Climate Action on ways to reduce your carbon footprint: CO2 reduction for companies.
Why diversity pays off in Venture Capital
- Harvard Business Review: The Other Diversity Dividend
- Morgan Stanley: Why Gender Diversity May Lead to Better Returns for Investors
- Forbes: Should Diversity Matter to Investors?
- The Boston Consulting Group: Why women-owned startups are a better bet
- Fast Company: Number of Women-Led VC Funds is Exploding
Bias in Venture Capital
- TechCrunch: The Surprising Bias of Venture Capital Decision-Making
- Insead Knowledge: Getting Rid of Gender Bias in Venture Capital
- Harvard Business Review: How the VC Pitch Process Is Failing Female Entrepreneurs
- Harvard Business Review: Male and female entrepreneurs get asked different questions by VCs and it affects how much funding they get
Steps toward gender bias in Private Equity & Venture Capital
- Diversity VC & Atomico: Diversity & Inclusion in Tech: A Practical Guidebook for Entrepreneurs
- Harvard Kennedy School: Advancing gender equality in venture capital
- IFC, Oliver Wyman and RockCreek: Moving Towards Gender Balance in Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Business for Social Responsibility: How to build effective Sustainability Governance Structures
- WBCSD: The State of Corporate Governance in the Era of Sustainability
Chapter 8: Measuring Impact
- Stanford Social Innovation Review: A Playbook for designing social impact measurement
- The Impact Investing Guide
- Global Impact Investing Network: Roadmap for the future of impact investing
- Impact Management Project
- Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership
- Forward Thinking for Sustainable Business Value: A New Method for Impact Valuation
- A Playbook for Designing Social Impact Measurement
- Please also see the links mentioned under Chapter 5 above